Before I get started on the challenge tomorrow Sunday 2nd I just wanted to post my top films of the year.
So after watching 82 films at the Cinema during 2010 and totalling some 8766 minutes viewing them here is my top 11 rundown of the year….the question is what would be your choices and more importantly number ONE film??
11. ‘Crazy Heart’ (7th March 2010) – “Jeff Bridges finally receives is long overdue Oscar with a phenomenal towering performance in this simple redemption story.”
10.‘Up in the Air’ (16th January 2010) – “A smart hilarious grown up comedy mixed with tragic and real drama.”
9. ‘Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans’ (22nd May 2010) – “Unpredictable, intense, creepy and unsettling at times this is what a real and raw Nicolas Cage performance is all about.”
8. ‘Scott Pilgrim vs. The World ‘ (30th August 2010) “A neon infested sugar rush of a movie that jumps off the screen and spins your head from start to finish.”
7. ‘Buried’ (16th October 2010) – “A terrific, claustrophobic, fist-clenching innovative film in which the audience is tortured….would make Hitchcock proud.”
6. ‘Monsters’ (10th December 2010) – “A beautiful romantic road movie set against a dense backdrop of extra-terrestrial wilderness and what first time film maker Gareth Edwards has created on a miniscule budget is an astonishing achievement.”
5. ‘The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo’ (18th March 2010) – “A stylish, tense and disturbing thriller that takes hold from the start and doesn’t let go until the credits roll…shame parts two and three don’t live up to this masterpiece.”
4. ‘Toy Story 3’ (22nd July 2010) – “Once again Pixar demonstrate why they are the masters of storytelling and will happily play with your emotions and pull your heartstrings…I wouldn’t be surprised come Oscar time we see Toy Story 3 winning best picture for an animated picture for the very first time.”
3. ‘The Social Network’ (20th October 2010) – “Is most influential modern version of ‘Citizen Kane’ (1941) that we will ever get too in a long time, David Fincher may have directed this masterpiece but the real hero is Aaron Sorkin electrifying, razor sharp script.”
2. ‘Inception’ (27th July 2010) – “A bold, inventive and complex piece of Cinema that perfectly balances sc-fi with thriller and one that will take multiple viewings to fully appreciate it’s genius and beauty.”
And my number one choice for film of the year is…
1.‘Kick-Ass’ (6th April 2010) – “The ‘one’ we didn’t see coming…Kick Ass audaciously but smartly recreated the already heavily congested Superhero genre and it rolled out a compulsively highly watchable, irresistible piece of pure entertainment.”